Freedom of Information

How to Request a Record

If you have any questions about your request, contact Freedom of Information Officer, Sheila Brown.

  1. Check with County Clerk/Freedom of Information Officer to determine whether the information that you need is available.
  2. You will be asked to submit your request for information on the request form for open records. Make sure your request is as specific as possible so that your request may be filled quickly and completely. Mail, email, or fax all requests to:
    County Clerk
    Freedom of Information Officer
    108 S. Glenn
    Ulysses, KS 67880
    Fax: 620-356-3081
  3. Most records will be produced within three business days from the time the request is received. If the request is denied, you will receive a written explanation for the delay or denial.


The Kansas Open Records Act authorizes Grant County to charge fees for providing access to or furnishing copies of public records. This fee may be requested in advance and may include:

  • Cost of staff time required making the information available
  • Cost of copying or reproducing the record

Guide to Open Public Records

Most records maintained by Grant County are open for inspection and/or copying by individuals. Commonly requested records include:

  • Ordinances
  • Resolutions
  • Minutes from open meetings
  • Salaries of public officials
  • Budgets


The Kansas Open Records Act recognizes that some records contain information that is private in nature. Records that are closed for this reason may include:

  • Personnel information of public employees
  • Medical treatment records
  • Records which are protected by the attorney-client privilege or the rules of evidence
  • Records containing personal information compiled for Census purposes
  • Notes and preliminary drafts
  • Criminal investigation records
  • Several other specific records

Freedom of Information Officer

As freedom of information officer, the County Clerk will:

  • Provide information concerning the Open Records Act
  • Be available to assist the public agency and the general public to resolve disputes relating to the Open Records Act
  • Respond to inquiries relating to the Open Records Act